The market is continuing to adapt to the new economic reality of 2020. The development and improvement of sophisticated software continues to be a critical component of the new normal. The legal landscape is adapting quickly. With each passing day, contract analytics platforms like ContraxSuite are assisting law firms and law departments in meeting the challenges of the evolving economy.
Today we are proud to announce the latest version of ContraxSuite Extraction & Analysis. This release, like our last release, is one of our biggest and most sweeping of the past three years. With Version 1.7.0, we have improved the capacity and speed of document uploads, improved the user experience with expanded features and new style options, added support for Single Sign-On (SSO), and much more.
Version 1.7.0 is the twenty-ninth open source release and became generally available on August 31st, 2020. Read on for a detailed description of the latest updates to ContraxSuite.
End User Interface Release Notes
Version 1.7.0 focuses on the following broad issues:
- Implemented Single Sign-On (SSO) for Office 365, Google, and Okta.
- Expanded and improved features of the new Clause-Level Review workflow in Contract Analysis Projects.
- Added new “Style” options to Annotator, including a “Dark Mode” option.
- Updated and added more project management features to the ReactUI.
- Various fixes and improvements related to system stability.
Detailed Changelog for End User Interface
New Features in Version 1.7.0
- Made improvements to the new Clause-Level Review workflow in Contract Analysis projects.
- Users can now customize the login screen for their ContraxSuite instance so that their clients see a custom email address for tech support. Navigate to Admin Site > “Common” > “App vars” > “Common – support_email”.
- Users can now upload entire folder directories (including
.zipfolders) using the document upload window. The folder paths will be preserved, and appear with the filenames of uploaded documents.
- Users can now Export and Import Document Types within the ReactUI.
- Users can now re-run Field Detectors either for a whole project, or for individual documents in a project, via that project’s “Settings” menu.
- Added new “Style” options to Annotator, including a “Dark Mode”. These options are accessible in the bottom right menu of icons on the Annotator’s main pane.
Improved Features in Version 1.7.0
- Improved look and feel of scroll bars throughout the site.
- Improved navigation and functionality for “My Open Tasks” Grid on the Home page.
- Improvements to document upload protocols:
- Increased parsing speed for most document formats
- Page numbers are more consistently saved
- Added a confirmation pop-up when a user cancels an upload
- Admin Site: Permissions have now been split into 4 types:
- Technical Admin
- Project and Document Type Creator – Permission to create projects, and can create or modify all Document Types. Needs to either create (and therefore be project owner), or be explicitly assigned to projects to have access to them.
- Project Creator – Permission to create projects, but no permission to create or modify Document Types. Needs to either create (and therefore be project owner) or be explicitly assigned to projects to have access to them.
- Reviewer – Permission to review documents, annotations, and clauses only in projects to which they have been given access by Admins and/or Creators.
- Clause Grid: Functionality improved around using filters, and using “Export” button to export data from Clause Grid into a spreadsheet.
- Clustering: “Unclustered” documents can now be reassigned to another project just like other clusters.
- Clustering: Documents are now clustered on the backend automatically after upload and parsing, to streamline and speed up data display.
- Grid View: Improved button labels and hot keys.
- Management: “Detect Limit Count” is now hidden from view if user selects “No Limit” in the “Detect limit unit” form of the Document Field create/edit page.
- Management: Users can now easily add Field Categories to Doc Types, and add/remove Fields from Categories in Doc Types.
- Management: The “Check Formula” function now provides more accurate validation, and clearer warning messages for Document Fields that are dependent on Python code.
- Management: When a user tries to delete a Document Type, a warning message displays how many projects, documents, Fields, and Field Detectors will be affected by the deletion, and whether the user wants to confirm deletion.
- Users cannot delete a Document Type while there are still any projects of that Doc Type on the server
- Users can now be added to Batch Analysis projects.
- Improved upload functionality for storing the directory structure of uploaded documents, with storing of folder names from uploaded directories and archives.
- Improved max document upload size.
- Improved LexNLP extraction of geographical entities.
- Implemented conversion of scanned PDF files into a searchable PDF format.
- Implemented user-friendly way to transfer projects with documents from one ContraxSuite instance to another.
- General improvements to pop-up windows for information and error messages.
Bug Fixes in Version 1.7.0
- A vertical scroll bar would sometimes appear in Grid Views when it was not necessary.
- Sometimes users could not add an annotation to a document and save it correctly.
- Fixed bugs where Filters would not work with “_” character, and/or would not display correct values.
- Fixed a bug where uploading duplicate documents would still lead to parsing.
- Fixed a bug where upload progress and parsing progress did not sync.
- Fixed a bug where annotations wouldn’t display for Related Info Fields.
- Fixed a bug where document upload wouldn’t pick up all documents if user chose to “Hide” the window.
- Fixed a bug related to re-clustering failure.
- Fixed a bug where a project would appear in a Reviewer’s “My Open Tasks” Grid, even though they didn’t have permission.
- Fixed bugs around refreshing browser pages when users switch between tabs.
- Fixed a bug where adding Fields to a Document Type would trigger an error message when user re-entered a project of that Doc Type.
- Fixed a bug where “Upload Successful” message wouldn’t disappear from the upper left of the screen.
- Fixed a bug where the buttons above the Annotator’s main pane would sometimes appear on the Grid View page.
- Fixed a bug where the hotkey panels would appear incorrectly in Internet Explorer.
- Fixed a bug where users could not delete Notes.
- Fixed a bug where a clause marked “Rejected” could not be re-opened.
- Fixed an
UnknownColumnErrorbug that would sometimes appear while using filters.
- Fixed a bug where entering a value into the “Name” column while filtering would move that value to the “Document ID” column if user refreshed the browser.
- Fixed a bug where typing capital letters in an Include Regexps or Exclude Regexps in a Field Detector would trigger an error, even when user unchecked the “pre process lower” option.
- Clause Annotator: If a user in Clause Annotator clicks “Back to Project”, they are now correctly returned to the Clause Grid tab, not the Documents tab.
- Clause Annotator: Fixed a bug where a Rejected clause that was later changed to Accepted would still not display a value in the Field Values tab of the Document Annotator.
- Document Explorer: Fixed a bug with Filters in the Task Grid View.
- Grid View: Fixed bugs related to data display when resizing the Grid, filtering, or using Column Visibility options.
- Grid View: Fixed a bug where sometimes “Username” and sometimes “First Name/Last Name” would appear in the “Assignee” column.
- Various bug fixes when the screen would go white when loading project or document data, or loading/assigning/filtering clause data in the Clause Grid.
Backend Release Notes for Version 1.7.0
- Version 1.7.0 focuses on the following broad issues:
- Ad hoc Boolean searching on documents or text units.
- Portability and downloading of either filtered or clustered documents. Users can now download an entire project for data and document transfer between environments, and then download/export Document Types across versions.
- Added configurations for Admins to block common false positive results for LexNLP items.
- Improved features around Document Type management.
Detailed Backend Changelog
- Added ability to download
.ziparchives with project documents for Batch and Contract Analysis.
- Added support for Single Sign-On (SSO) authentication for a variety of providers, including Google, MS Office 365, and Okta.
- Added API to notify a user about projects and other objects related to a Document Type before its deletion, and also added a warning about related projects/documents/Fields/Detectors when deleting a Document Type.
- Added ability to run a separate Celery task to delete Document Type with lots of related objects and configure it via AppVars.
- Updated clustering so that unclustered documents can be reassigned to another project as a separate cluster.
- System now triggers clustering after all documents are processed, instead of using a separate API.
- Added new API to list all currently assigned clauses in “My Open Tasks”.
- Improved uploading functionality to store directories structure for uploaded documents within folders, and store folder names from an archive.
- Provided an additional API for listing all assignees of a filtered document list.
- Reconfigured allauth plugin email functionality to use AppVar to configure email
DEFAULT_FROM_EMAILsettings from custom application variables.
- Updated Explorer UI templates to use support email that is configurable via AppVar.
- Created new user Role “Project and Document Type Creator”, restricted user permissions for “Project Creator” role.
- Enhanced “Similarity” task to use less memory.
- Added CRUD API for Document Field Categories.
- Changed Document Field Category data model to be Document Type-specific.
- Cleaned up Document Type demo fixtures.
- Unified “Check Formula” functionality, validation, and warning messages for Document Fields in API calls and on the Admin Site.
- Project Grid View and Export Function requests with large number of Fields are handled using
- Improved “Clone Document Type” functionality to run reindex task after cloning.
- Used Swagger UI to display available APIs, added ability to download a
YAMLfile with API described in OpenAPI 3.0.2 format.
- Implemented converting scanned PDF files into a searchable PDF format to display to end users.
- Implemented transferring projects with documents from one ContraxSuite instance to another.
- Added DjangoQL queries support for administrative webpages.
- Added DjangoQL API to request documents and text units.
- Increased date recognition speed.
- Reduced documents’ cache size and improved consistency ensuring logic.
- Optimized querying texts’ summarized data.
- Increased parsing speed for most document formats, and improved save for document page numbers.
- Improved “Cluster by Entity” modal window for clarity.
- Streamlined “Detect Limit Unit” options for improved user experience.
- Reduced geography field detection search range; geography Field Detectors now operate on singular text units instead of the entire document.
- Adjusted Document Type Export / Import procedures to support versioning.
The full release notes and changelog for ContraxSuite 1.7.0, and for all prior versions of ContraxSuite, are available at the ContraxSuite GitHub page.
Stay up to date on ContraxSuite’s expanding capabilities by checking out our work on using ContraxSuite’s Document Explorer to analyze contracts for COVID-19 risk, or reading our series of LIBOR-focused blog posts or our LIBOR white paper.
To get started with ContraxSuite, drop us a line at email@example.com.